In this article, information about the largest state and the smallest state of India in terms of population has been provided. In the previous article, we provided information about the largest state and smallest state of India in terms of area. You can also read that article.
The largest and smallest state of India in terms of population
In terms of population, India is the second largest country in the world after China. The total population of India is 1.3 billion, which is about 17.7% of the total population of the world. It has been estimated that after a few years, India will leave behind China in terms of population.
The largest state of India in terms of population is Uttar Pradesh (2,38,566 sq km) while the smallest state of India in terms of population is Sikkim (7096 sq km).
You can estimate how big Uttar Pradesh is in terms of population from the fact that the population of only five countries of the world China, India, America, Indonesia, and Brazil is more than the population of Uttar Pradesh.
In this article, information has been provided about the largest and smallest state of India in terms of population based on the 2011 census.
The largest and smallest state of India on the map
Before knowing about the largest and smallest populous state of India in detail, we want to show you the location of these states on map. Here is the map of the largest and smallest state of India in terms of the population -
The largest state of India in terms of population
Uttar Pradesh is the largest state in India in terms of population.
Important facts about Uttar Pradesh
- The total population of the state of Uttar Pradesh is 241,066,874, which is about 16% of the total population of India.
- Uttar Pradesh is a state located in the north of India.
- The state of Uttar Pradesh was formed on 24 January 1950.
- Uttar Pradesh is the fourth largest state in India in terms of area. The states of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, and Maharashtra are larger than Uttar Pradesh in terms of area.
- The total area of Uttar Pradesh is 240,928 km², which is 7.3% of the total area of India.
- Its geographical location is 26.85°N latitude and 80.91°E latitude.
- The state is bordered by Rajasthan to the west, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and Delhi to the north-west, Uttarakhand and Nepal to the north, Bihar to the east, Madhya Pradesh to the south, and Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh to the south-east.
- Lucknow is the administrative and legislative capital of Uttar Pradesh while Prayagraj is the judicial capital.
- On 9 November 2000, a new state, Uttaranchal (now Uttarakhand), was carved out of the northwestern Himalayan hill region of Uttar Pradesh.
10 Largest Lakes in the World
- Uttar Pradesh is divided into 18 divisions and 75 districts. The state of Uttar Pradesh has the largest number of districts.
- Prayagraj is the largest district of Uttar Pradesh in terms of population. Its total population is 1,536,218.
- Mahoba is the smallest district of Uttar Pradesh in terms of population. Its total population is 8,76,055.
- Lakhimpur Kheri is the largest district of Uttar Pradesh in terms of area. Its total area is 7,680 sq km.
- Hapur is the smallest district of Uttar Pradesh in terms of area. Its total area is 660 sq km.
- Sonbhadra is the second-largest district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Sonbhadra is the only district in India that shares its border with four states Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, and Bihar.
- The district is bordered by Madhya Pradesh in the west, Chhattisgarh in the south, Jharkhand and Bihar in the east, and the Mirzapur district of Uttar Pradesh in the north.
- The current Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh is Yogi Adityanath (BJP).
- The present Governor of Uttar Pradesh is Anandiben Patel.
- The Legislature of Uttar Pradesh is bicameral.
- The total number of assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh is 403.
- The total number of Legislative Council seats in Uttar Pradesh is 100.
- The number of Rajya Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh is 31.
- The number of Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh is 80.
- The regional languages of Uttar Pradesh are Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit, Braj Bhasha, English, Bagheli, Bhojpuri, Bundeli, and Kannauji.
- The literacy (2011) rate of Uttar Pradesh is 67.68%.
- The sex ratio in Uttar Pradesh is 912.
- The Prayagraj High Court located in Uttar Pradesh is the largest High Court in Asia.
- The state symbol of Uttar Pradesh is two fish in a circle and the arrow command is approved since 1938.
- The state animal of Uttar Pradesh is Barasingha.
- The state bird of Uttar Pradesh is Saras or Kraunch.
- The state flower of Uttar Pradesh is Palash or Tensu.
- Ashoka is the state tree of Uttar Pradesh.
List of Important Lakes in India
- Nautanki, Rasleela, Kajri, Jhora, Jaita, etc. are the main folk dances of Uttar Pradesh.
- Tharu, Buxa, Jaunsari, Raji, Gond, Bhotia, Baiga, Mahigir, Sahariya, etc. are the main tribes of Uttar Pradesh.
- The population density of the state of Uttar Pradesh is 828 persons per square kilometer.
- The economy of Uttar Pradesh is the third largest state economy in India with a GDP of ₹18.63 lakh crore (US$230 billion) and a per capita GSDP of ₹68,810 (US$860).
- President's rule has been imposed in the state of Uttar Pradesh about 10 times.
- Hindi is the official language of the state of Uttar Pradesh, along with it it is the most spoken language in the state.
- Bhojpuri is the second most spoken language of the state.
- Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri located in Uttar Pradesh is included in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
- About 70% of India's sugar comes from Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh is the state with the largest scheduled population.
- The Uttar Pradesh Police, governed by the state home department, is the largest police force in the world.
- Uttar Pradesh has three international airports - Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport located in Lucknow, Shri Ram Lalla International Airport located in Ayodhya, and Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport located in Varanasi.
The smallest state of India in terms of population
Sikkim is the smallest state in India in terms of population.
Important facts about Sikkim
- The total population of Sikkim is 610,577.
- Sikkim is located in the northeast of India.
- It was formed on 16 May 1975. And it became the 22nd state of India.
- The area of Sikkim is 7,096 sq km.
- In terms of area, it is the second smallest state of India after Goa.
- Its geographical location is 27°33′ north latitude and 88°30′ east longitude.
- It borders Tibet to the north and northeast, Bhutan to the east, Nepal to the west, and West Bengal to the south.
- Gangtok is the capital of the state of Sikkim and it is also the largest city of Sikkim.
- There are 6 districts in Sikkim which are as follows - Gangtok, Mangan, Namchi, Gejing, Pakyong, Soreng
- The current Chief Minister of Sikkim is Prem Singh Tamang (SKM).
- The present Governor of Sikkim is Laxman Acharya.
Tribes of India l State Wise Complete List
- The total number of assembly seats in Sikkim is 32.
- The number of Rajya Sabha seats in Sikkim is 1.
- The number of Lok Sabha seats in Sikkim is 1.
- The regional languages of Sikkim are Gurung, Limbu, Magar, and Mukhiya.
- The literacy (2011) rate of Sikkim is 82.6%.
- The sex ratio in Sikkim is 890.
- The state animal of Sikkim is the red panda.
- The state bird of Sikkim is the blood pheasant.
- The state flower of Sikkim is the Noble Dendrobium.
- Rhododendron is the state tree of Sikkim.
- Sikkim ranks 10th among Indian states on the Human Development Index.
- Chhu phat dance, lion dance, yak chham, khukuri dance, maruni dance are the famous folk dances of Rajasthan.
- Lepcha is the main tribe of Sikkim.
- Teesta, Rangpo, and Rangit are the major rivers of Sikkim.
- Kangchenjunga is the third-highest mountain in the world. It is located in the border area between Nepal and Mangan district in the Indian state of Sikkim.
- Kangchenjunga National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and covers about 35% of the state.
- The economy of Sikkim is largely dependent on agriculture and tourism. As of 2019, the state had the fifth-smallest GDP among Indian states, although it is also among the fastest-growing.
- Pakyong Airport is the only airport in Sikkim which is located at a distance of 30 km (19 mi) from Gangtok.
- The population density of Sikkim is 86 persons per square kilometer.
- The official languages of the state of Sikkim are Nepali, Sikkimese, Lepcha, and English.
In today's article, we have given you information about the largest state of India in terms of population: Uttar Pradesh, and the smallest state: Sikkim. Apart from this, we have provided information about important facts about these states which are important from the exam point of view.
If you have liked this information, then you can also share it with your friends and also if you have any kind of question or suggestion regarding this article, then you can ask in the comment box given below.
Read this also